- Trek Overview
- Inclusions / Exclusions
Sandakphu is perhaps one of the oldest trek trails in the country. On this trek, allow Kanchanjunga to cast its magical spell on you. Even though it has become slightly commercial, it still has a lot to offer in terms of spectacular views. You can see 4 out of 5 highest peaks of the world – Everest, Kanchenjunga, Lhotse and Makalu. You also get an opportunity to trek through the beautiful Singalila National Park & if you’re lucky, you might just spot a Red Panda! This is a tea house trek and we will be residing in peoples houses (called tea houses in the area). Each day a different family hosts us!
P.S. -We take an offbeat route which has less traffic on trail and more jungle trail!
About the area
The Sikkim Darjeeling belt is one of the most laid back places in the Himalayas! The Gorkhas and Sherpas that reside here are an extremely welcoming and fun loving community. One of the highlights of your trip to this area would be the interaction with the locals and to be able to get an understanding about their culture! The language commonly spoken here is Nepali.
Expected Weather –
March – May Trek
- Chances of rain/hail – less likely
- Snow on trail- less likely
- Temperatures –
Afternoon upto 25 degrees (May)
Nights around -5 degrees (March) at higher camps
- Chances of rain/ hail – Less likely
- Snow on trail – Possible snowfall in December
- Temperatures – Afternoon upto 20 degrees
Nights around -5 to -8 degrees (Dec) at higher camps
- Day 1: Pick up from NJP/ SIliguri/ Bagdogra Airport. Drive to Uttarey (1900m). Driving Duration: 6 hrs. Night stay in Tea House
- Day 2: Trek from Sepi to Samaden (2350m). Lunch at Camp; Trek Distance: 14 Kms, Trek Time: 6 hrs
- Day 3: Trek from Samaden to Molley (3400 m). Lunch at Kaiyakatta ; Trek Distance: 7 Kms, Trek Time: 7 hrs
- Day 4: Molley to Sandakpu (3636m). Lunch at Sandakphu ; Distance: 16 kms, Trek Time: 8 hrs
- Day 5: Sandakphu to Garibas (2636m). Lunch on the trail; Distance: 13 kms, Trek Time: 7 hrs
- Day 6: Garibas to Dhotrey (2000 m) ; Distance: 6 kms, Trek Time: 3 hrs
Lunch at Dhotrey. Drive back to Darjeeling (1 hours)
- 5% GST
- Pick up from Siliguri & drop to Darjeeling (In Tata Sumo or similar vehicle) (Optional)
- All meals from evening Tea on Day 1 to Lunch Day on Day 6.
- Stay and lodging in Tea houses all throughout the trek.
- Permissions, forest entry charges and guide and expertise charges.
A certified trek leader, a guide, cook & porters will accompany you during the trek
The common perception is that alcohol makes you feel warmer, however it also dehydrates you & dehydration can be fatal while trekking. Hence consumption of alcohol is prohibited. Smoking in camps is not allowed.
Wild animals do not frequent camps. They tend to stay away.
In all the camps where the accommodation is in guest houses/home stays, there will be proper toilets.
Yes, you are ideally expected to carry your backpack. But you do have an option of offloading your bags on a mule for an additional cost. The cost will be 400/ per day per bag. One is expected to inform us about offloading 1 week prior to the trek