- Trek Overview
- Inclusions / Exclusions
Yunam Peak at 6111 M is a trekkable peak located in the Lahaul district of Himachal Pradesh near the Baralacha La Pass, of the Leh – Manali Highway. Though it is less frequently climbed, Yunam Peak is a great alternative to the likes of Stok Kangri and Kang Yatse 2 in Ladakh. The summit offers fantastic views of the Chandra Bhaga range and the Zanskar range. The Yunam Peak Expedition is an offbeat peak and a great choice for aspiring climbers
The area: The Yunam peak trek begins in Lahaul valley, which is around 120 kms from Manali. The terrain here is rugged yet green. Because it is in the Trans – Himalayas, July to September are the best months to undertake the Yunam Peak Expedition.
Expected weather –
- Chances of Rain/ Hail – Moderate rainfall can be expected
- Snowfall – Possible
- Temperatures –
Afternoon – 17 degrees
Around -10 degrees at higher camps
- Day 1: Arrive in Manali. Check into a hotel
- Day 2: Drive from Manali to Jispa (3200mts). Overnight stay in tents/Hotel; Drive time - 5 hours (120 kms)
- Day 3: Drive from Jispa to Bharatpur (4500 M) - Drive time - 5 hours (90kms)
- Day 4: Acclimatization day at Bharatpur
- Day 5: Trek from Bharatpur to Base Camp(5200 mts);Trek distance - 5 Kms 4 hours
- Day 6: Summit attempt and come back to BC ; Trek distance - 6.5 Kms , 8 hours
- Day 7: Buffer day
- Day 8: Trek from BC to Bharatpur; 2 hours. Drive back to Manali. You will reach Manali by 8 pm. Trek ends .
- All accommodation and food from Day 1 (barring breakfast) to Day 8 (Till Lunch)
- Transport from Manali to Bharatpur and back.
- Rentals for all common gear provided to you like tent, sleeping bags etc.
- Rentals for all technical gear provided to you like Microspikes, Gaitors, Harness and Ropes.
- Forest Entry Permission charges.
- Guide and expertise charges.
- A high altitude medical kit which includes oxygen cylinders, Oxymeters, BP meter and Medicines.
Manali is well connected from Delhi/ Chandigarh. You have regular bus service from both Delhi and Chandigarh. The nearest airport is Kullu. One can take a cab from Kullu to Manali which costs approximately 2000INR.You also get regular bus service from Kullu to Manali. Note, it is advisable to book a cab to avoid inconvenience.
Ideally, only experienced trekkers who have trekked earlier and are fit can attempt this.
Physically it requires the same fitness levels. Technically it is a little more demanding.
Ideally you need mountaineering boots for this climb. But you can use crampon compatible, high quality trekking boots (Salomon or Forclaz trek 900) but not hiking shoes. You can wear a good layer of socks inside it.